Saturday, January 26, 2013

Nothing Like Chocolate

I've been visiting my mother for the past week. It's been a mostly relaxing time and Beanette is loving the "nature" out here. She sees deer every day and lots of squirrels and birds. Thankfully, she's managed to miss seeing the dead frogs and skunks that are lying dead/run over on the road.

But, as always, I'm just about ready to get back to my life and put some distance between me and my mother again. 

My mother is one of those people I can only stand in small doses.

In other words, she's nothing like chocolate. Because I could eat chocolate just about every day.

Maybe there are just some things I'm not "over" from my childhood.  Or maybe it's because she is convinced that her way is always the right way.  I have no doubt that she loves me and would do just about anything for me, but if I had a choice, I would keep the physical distance between us.  It's better for my sanity.

I finished an interesting book the other day: World of Shell and Bone. Four stars. It reminded me a little of Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale." I enjoyed the plot and the writing style, but I have to admit that I would have liked a little more background/detail on some of the characters, particularly Shale. Here's to hoping the sequel is just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment