Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beanette, Turning Two.

We had my daughter's birthday party yesterday.  (Her birthday is on the 15th.)  Time really sneaks up on you.  I did the math again. Two years down, 16 more until she is an adult.  It scares me.  1/9th of her childhood is already gone.  Or 1/6 if I don't count the teenage years.

I don't like thinking about it.  Someday she will be big.  And will she think of me the way I think of my mother now?  There was a time when I, too, must have considered my mother a huge part of my world, the way my daughter views me.  It's such a shame to think that she will never remember this part of her life, that I am the only one who  will remember our time together.  She won't remember the way she looked at me with those big brown eyes while she nursed, her eyes flickering over my face, studying me.  She won't remember sticking her toes out for a kiss, or pointing to her belly, demanding another one.

Memories so precious.  Memories that only I will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment